Friday, August 12, 2011

August 12th – Proverbs 12: Lose Some Weight!


“Anxiety in a man's heart weighs it down, But a good word makes it glad.” – Proverbs 12:25

I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. Around 2003, I had gotten in debt up to my eyeballs. I tried to start and maintain a business on credit. DUMB. Things would look up, I would sell a big job and the tension, pressure and anxiety would relent, but only for a minute.  Then something would come up, a vendor would wreck the job and I would have to pay to make it right, destroying my profit and taking us back to square one. Day after day the pressure and anxiety of financial pressure would mount. The bills were getting bigger, the credit lines were almost maxed out and I felt like I was drowning. That sick feeling in my gut was anxiety about finances, bills, my income, etc. How was I going to provide for my wife and kids? How in the WORLD was I going to get out of this mess? I was desperate for answers and mainly just desperate relief from the crushing weight of anxiety.

And then on the floor at a conference in Toronto, Canada God spoke to me. I had been whining and complaining to Him about our financial situation. I was asking for help, insight, whatever! My main complaint to God was “How am I going to provide for MY wife and MY kids? I feel like a bad Dad, I’ve gotten us all into this mess, how are we going to get out?!” After several hours of whining and crying, I had said what I needed to say. As I sat there waiting on the Lord, God answered.  He told me simply, “Before YOUR wife is YOUR wife, she is MY Daughter! Before YOUR son is YOUR son, he is MY Son!” 

What He said INSTANTLY relieved the weight of anxiety. The burden was gone! My wife was HIS daughter and my son was HIS son! My perspective shifted and I was free! I got up off the floor about 1,000 pounds lighter and almost floated home. It would take several years of disciplined action to get where we needed to be financially, but now it was possible because I was no longer carrying that burden of anxiety.

Anxiety is like a weight. You can literally “feel” anxiety in your heart. It’s a terrible burden that we as Christians don’t have the grace to carry… EVER! So let me ask you; what extra weight of anxiety are you carrying? Maybe like me, you have financial pressure that weighs you down. Maybe you have health related pressure or a marriage impossibility. Whatever it is, I can tell you that you can be free TODAY. 

Just DO this verse:

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6, 7

LIFE LESSON:
Give your anxiety to God, He can handle it. You can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment