Friday, April 29, 2011

April 29th – Proverbs 29: The Righteous SING

“An evil man is snared by his own sin, but a righteous one can sing and be glad.” – Proverbs 29:6

I remember vaguely what it was like to be in bondage. I specifically remember being very self-conscious and always aware of what others were thinking about me. I guess when you aren’t living your life for what Jesus thinks of you that is what you focus on. I was self-conscious because I was sin conscious. I was walking around in guilt and shame for what I did in the dark and it had a profound effect on how I behaved in the light.

The Bible says that the evil man is ensnared by his sin. Literally translated this means that a wicked person is captive to his evil actions. Sin has an ability to completely consume your life, your thoughts and ultimately your behavior. Wicked people are trapped people, they are anything BUT free. I remember living with a sense that I was going to be exposed at any moment. This made me paranoid and aloof. I didn’t want to get too close to people for they might discover who I REALLY was. I was guarded with my actions and words, attempting to disguise the person I was in reality. The farthest thing from my mind was to “sing and be glad” like the righteous. In fact, righteous people’s demonstrations of freedom bothered me.

Now, righteous people on the other hand have reason to “sing and be glad”! They are right with God! They have nothing to hide and everything they had to hide has been exposed, confessed and renounced, never to torment them again! Whatever bondage or snare their sin once had over them has been destroyed. They are grateful for their freedom and it takes restraint for them to NOT rejoice and be glad… all the time! Many Christians are so dour all the time. They should realize that Joy is normal for a believer and part and parcel of the Kingdom of God:

“For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 14:17

I have been in bondage and I have been free. Free is better. Without a doubt, that freedom of righteousness has a bearing your ability to be demonstrative with your freedom. The Bible doesn’t say that extroverted Christians will rejoice and be glad; it says that RIGHTEOUS people do that. Again, rejoicing and singing for one’s freedom is not a character trait, it’s the response of the righteous. The righteous are free while the wicked sit in bondage. When the music starts, which one do you most resemble?

LIFE LESSON:
Righteous people sing and rejoice. Wicked people just sit there in chains.


No comments:

Post a Comment