Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16th – Proverbs 16: Silver & Gold

“How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!” – Proverbs 16:16

In these uncertain economic times, every other commercial I have seen on TV is telling us to invest in gold. The thinking is that when and if our currency fails, gold will be a safe haven to invest wealth in. It’s true, holding hard currency like gold or silver seems like a good idea when our paper money is being devalued. But the Word of God has an even better investment strategy. Instead of storing up gold and silver, the word of God tells us to lay hold of and possess wisdom and understanding.

The primary writer of the Proverbs was Solomon. Solomon knew more than anyone that wisdom and understanding were better than silver and gold. When he was a young man, he had an encounter with God where the Lord came to him and basically asked him “what do you want?”

“At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." – I Kings 3:5

Solomon could have said “wealth” because politically speaking, wealth is power. Solomon could have asked the Lord to wipe out all his enemies or to give Him unlimited power, but he did something altogether unexpected:

“Solomon answered, "You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day. "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" – I Kings 3:6-9

Solomon asked for a discerning heart, to understand right from wrong. He asked for Wisdom. This request pleased the Lord. So much in fact that God gave him MUCH MORE than he had asked for:

“The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. So God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both riches and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life." – I Kings 3:10-14

You see, Solomon understood what we often forget. Wisdom is supreme. Understanding is vital. Without it, we are rudderless and our lives have no context. What is a rich man without morality? What is a wealthy nation without principles? Possessing wisdom and understanding gives us access to all the wealth and prosperity we need!

LIFE LESSON:
If the dollar collapses and our economy and country falls into ruin, I would rather have wisdom than a block of metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment