Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 28th – Proverbs 28: Trusting in Yourself

“He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.” Proverbs 28:26

The man that trusts in himself, even in his own experience, knowledge or learning, is a fool. This proverb is important because many who seek wisdom sometimes start to think they have arrived. They think that because they have sought wisdom in the past, there is no need to seek out and search for wisdom in their present or future. All throughout the word of God, especially here in Proverbs, Wisdom is always standing outside of us, calling to us:

“Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares;” – Proverbs 1:20

We don’t see and aren’t encouraged to look for wisdom from within, but from without. She calls to us and we answer her call. As we dialogue with her and give ourselves to understanding, we begin to receive the wisdom we need. But the minute we shut ourselves off from outside influence and begin to think that we have everything we need in and of ourselves, we’re in trouble.

Mature Christians are dependent people. We are called to be utterly dependent on the Lord. Many in the Western church are trained almost from birth to esteem self-sufficiency. Even in the “enlightened” Charismatic church, we teach people o live for God without God’s help! But I hate to tell you, the Christian life is a co-dependent relationship. We lean HEAVILY in the Lord; we trust utterly in the voice of the Spirit of God and build our lives around His words. Once we do this we do become possessors of divine power, insight and revelation, but it’s important to remember where it came from. Even Jesus recognized this fact:

“Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.” – John 5:19

Just in case you think that’s a typo:

“By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.” – John 5:30

I think we get the idea that God fills us with His Spirit and with His Word and then leaves us out there, naked, cold and alone. NO WAY! He offers Himself freely, but we are to live every day in recognition of who is in us and working through us. Jesus told us to live the same way as He did:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” – John 15:5

LIFE LESSON:
Trust in yourself and you will fall, walk with Wisdom and you’ll be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment