Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 31st – Proverbs 31: More Than Rubies

“A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” – Proverbs 31:10

Lots of single guys I know are looking for a stunning beauty to marry. It seems for some guys that the ONLY requirement for the women they are looking for is that she look great in a bikini. It is true, if a woman does not take care of herself and look her personal best, she may never get noticed by Mr. Right. In our culture, we are conditioned to recognize physical beauty above all things. Now, I am NOT one of those people that say physical beauty is unimportant, that’s just silly. Of course, physical beauty is important, but it being the sole requirement for a relationship is madness! A woman of great beauty is not difficult to find, especially in the south. But according to the scriptures, a woman of noble character is a rare discovery and worth FAR more than precious stones. If we had that kind of respect and admiration for character over looks there would be a lot less divorce and broken hearts.

I always encourage men to look at the heart (after noticing outward, physical beauty). If the chick they are interested in doesn’t love Jesus and isn’t totally committed to the Lord, WALK AWAY. There will be nothing but heartache if you pursue a woman that is worldly and carnal. Sure, she might look great in that miniskirt, but without character, what you gain having her as arm candy you will lose in confidence.

“Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.” – Proverbs 31:11

My wife is beautiful. I have no problem admitting it, it’s the first thing I noticed about her and one of the first things I recognize about her every day. But early on in our relationship, as I got to know her, what really attracted me to her was her hunger and passion for Jesus. Her commitment to the Lord is expressed to me in keeping her covenant. Because she fears the Lord, she’s a wonderful, faithful wife and I have never doubted her integrity for a moment. Now, that is priceless. I have known men married to total stunners without character that wonder every day if their wife will come home pregnant. What torture! Yes she’s beautiful, but without integrity, you aren’t sure she is all yours. YUCK!

Of course, overzealous Christians have all but made a rule saying that a woman who looks good is unfaithful, which is totally ridiculous. I was under this delusion when I first got saved. As I graduated high school I was looking for a wife and wanted to get married. After reading scriptures like this, I overreacted. I thought that the woman the Lord had for me would be a troll, with noble character. I found a young lady with whom I had NO physical attraction to who loved the Lord and determined she MUST be God’s choice for me. How silly. Thankfully, the Lord showed me that the woman He had for me would be drop dead gorgeous AND love Him completely.

LIFE LESSON:
“Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.” – Proverbs 11:22

No comments:

Post a Comment