Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6th – Proverbs 6: WHORES!!!

“For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,” – Proverbs 6:23

The wisdom revealed in the book of Proverbs has MANY benefits. The teaching of wisdom and understanding revealed here is called, “a light”. When so many walk in darkness, not knowing where they are going and not understanding where they have been, the Gospel comes in and shines a light on our ways. When we walk according to wisdom and understanding, our path is illuminated! We KNOW why we are stumbling and we can CLEARLY see the path ahead of us! The corrections of discipline are the path of life. I like to think of discipline, correction and rebuke as the guardrails along the road of life. When you keep the vehicle in the right lane, you may never encounter them, but when you drift, correction is there to make sure you don’t go over the cliff!


“keeping you from the immoral woman, from the smooth tongue of the wayward wife.” – Proverbs 6:24


One of the primary benefits of wisdom is that it, when properly applied, will keep us from the immoral woman. This may not seem like a big deal to many Christians, but it is! The immoral woman (and there are many of them!) draws people in with her beauty and then destroys them. The literal application of the wisdom and understanding in the book of Proverbs will keep us from being seduced by her.


“Do not lust in your heart after her beauty or let her captivate you with her eyes,” – Proverbs 6:25


When I see a woman dressed or acting seductively, either in real life or on television or internet, before my hormones get engaged and I begin to think of how great she looks, and before appreciating God’s beauty turns into lust in my heart, I remember this passage:


“for the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread, and the adulteress preys upon your very life.” – Proverbs 6:26


This WHORE (literal Hebrew translation!) can and will reduce me to a loaf of bread and is trying to kill me! How descriptive is that? I look at the top of my refrigerator and see the loaf of bread sitting up there, just waiting to be eaten. So is the man given to lust after whores, they are a meal waiting to be eaten, nothing more.


When my Dad was teaching me how to drive, he told me something that’s stuck with me to this day, many years after the fact. He said: “Treat EVERYONE on the road like they are trying to kill you!” Now that may be a little overzealous defensive driving training, but it’s had quite an effect! In the same way, instead of being drawn into a whores gaze, we should tell ourselves, “This woman is trying to turn me into a meal, and my life is in danger! RUN!!!”


LIFE LESSON:

Many a man has had dreams of an illicit meal, only to become lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment