Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 12th – Proverbs 12: Cautious In Friendship

“A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” – Proverbs 12:26

Friendship and relationships are one area where my parents REALLY worked us over on. They would constantly teach us and warn us about “fools”. Whenever we made new friends, the first thing my Mom would ask is, “Son, is he a fool?” Using the wisdom of Proverbs as my measuring rod I would evaluate ALL of my relationships, friendships and even acquaintances. I can only remember a couple times ever spending the night at friends’ houses, although many of my friends would have people over or spend entire weekends at friends’ houses. That’s because good friends are hard to find! The end result was that I was VERY cautious in my friendships. It served me well because I lived a relatively sheltered life; sheltered from sin, wickedness and foolishness. If you say that today, people roll their eyes and say things like, “You can’t shelter your kids forever!” (As they throw their kids to the wolves of sex, drugs and teenage pregnancy!)

Growing up I was aware that not everyone was like this. In fact I have heard some pretty strong accusations and arguments against the way I was raised by many. Funny thing though, the people that argue have bigger problems to worry about, like where their illegitimate grandchildren are going to sleep, or where they are going to find the money to pay for junior’s rehab.

The Bible says it clear and clean; Righteous people are CAUTIOUS in friendship. This word means that they reconnoiter, or research their associations. Some people rankle at this, as if love is blind. They take offense at a person that is concerned about who they fellowship with. What they forget is that Love COVERS sins, it doesn’t IGNORE them. The righteous understand the NO ONE is looking out for their own salvation and entrust themselves to no man. Like Jesus!

“But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man.” – John 2:24,25

We are called to walk circumspectly. We MUST be cautious in who we share our lives with. If we end up walking with the wise, we will grow wiser, but if we end up strolling the path of life with fools, we’ll be DESTROYED!

“He who walks with the wise shall be wise, but a companion with fools shall be destroyed.” – Proverbs 13:20

LIFE LESSON:
Research your friends, know their actions and only walk with those committed to truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment