Friday, July 8, 2011

July 6th – Proverbs 6: Wisdom for Walking, Sleeping & Waking

“My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck.” – Proverbs 6:20,21

I know, not all of us have had mothers and fathers that walked in Wisdom and Understanding. In fact, the only thing that some of us can learn from our parents is what NOT to do! Even then, we should learn the lessons well. We’re encouraged to bind them upon our heart, the core of who we are. We are called to fasten them around our neck like an amulet, always remembering their instruction. Thankfully I have some wonderful parents. I especially remember my Mom and Dad reciting to us proverbs. My mom would continually warn us kids about hanging around with “fools” and my Dad would not so graciously awaken us in the morning with this passage:

“As a door turns on its hinges, so a sluggard turns on his bed!” – Proverbs 26:14

Regardless, we should take what wisdom and understanding that we did learn from our parents (whether what to do or what not to do) and apply it in our lives. Why? Well, this kind of wisdom has MANY benefits. As we will see, this wisdom and understanding coming from the Father’s commands and our mother’s teaching will benefit us when we are walking, sleeping and awake!

“When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you.” – Proverbs 6:22

As we walk, what we need is direction and guidance. We are already moving so we want to make sure that we are moving in the right direction and not walking in error. Regularly as I am living my life and making decisions I remember the teaching of my mother and the commands of my father. As I walk with God on the path of life, they are like markers on the edge of the path. More often than not, I know exactly when I stray from the path.

Their teaching and instruction also watches over me as I sleep. It is the context for my dreams and like a security blanket. The scariest place to be is out of the will of God and when I lie on my bed I am forced to come to grips and deal with my conduct, whether it is pure and right… or not! I’ve told unbelievers for years that there is power in a clean conscience. Going to bed with a clean conscience and knowledge that I am walking in truth is AMAZING!

When I awake from my peaceful slumber of the righteous, the teaching of my mother and commands of my father speak to me. They remind me of what is right and what is wrong. They set my feet in the right direction. They are like a road sign, directing me towards the path of life.

LIFE LESSON:
Those that forsake their parents’ instruction are confused when they walk, tormented when they sleep and harassed when they awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment