Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 1st – Proverbs 1: #WINNING @ 30,000 Feet!

“My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them.” – Proverbs 1:10

I was sitting in First Class on a flight from Atlanta to California. I was given the option to upgrade my ticket to First Class for $50 and I took it. We were going on a ministry trip to minister at a church in Southern California and I had a team back in coach coming with me. It was a crammed flight and not an empty seat on the plane. One of the last people to get on the plane was a GORGEOUS young woman. She came and sat down next to me. Right away I knew she was trouble. The way she dressed and the way she carried herself were VERY seductive. I greeted her politely and began to read the book I brought with me very intently.

No sooner were we in the air than she began to order drinks. Only a couple hours into the 5 hour flight and she was pretty loose. She began talking to me, asking questions about what I was reading and what I did for a living. Telling her I was a preacher on my way to California to preach the GOSPEL didn’t seem to have any effect on her whatsoever. Clinking my wedding ring on the chair didn’t either. I excused myself, used the restroom and on my way back to the seat asked the stewardess if I could switch seats so I could sit closer to the guys on my team in coach. She was unable to help me, the flight was too full and they really couldn’t bring folks from coach into business mid-flight. I was stuck next to a loose lipped, slightly inebriated young lady that dressed and acted very seductively.

When I sat down, she gave me the whole story. Her marriage was in trouble, she was moving to California to pursue her career. She was seriously contemplating divorce. She suspected her husband of having an affair on her and she was angry. She began making eyes at me as she spoke. She also began touching my leg as she talked. I politely moved her hand off, but she would not STOP! She told me plainly that she wanted to get back at him and without a doubt; I was to be her revenge. She told me where she was staying and how to get in touch with her in California. But what took the cake was her less that subtle offer to join the “mile-high” club with her.

This sinner was enticing me! The temptation was intense to give in to her. But in a moment of clarity I saw her for what she is: a dirty WHORE inspired by the devil who was hell bent on ruining my marriage, my ministry and sending me to hell!

Here’s what I said:

Ryan: “Real quick, let me ask you a question.”
Whore: “Ok.”

Ryan: “You said you were married, right?”
Whore: “Yeah!”

Ryan: “So, you had a ceremony, right?”
Whore: “Sure!”

Ryan: “Like at a church or whatever?”
Whore: “Totally, it was this beautiful building, etc. etc. etc.”

Ryan: “Like all weddings, you probably had a bunch of witnesses, huh?”
Whore: “Yes, it was a BIG wedding, maybe 200 people!”

Ryan: “Did you have a preacher do the service for you?”
Whore: “Oh yeah, he was a family friend, blah, blah, blah…”

Ryan: “So, did he have you guys recite vows?”
Whore: “Of course!”

Ryan: “Like the traditional ones? You know, till death do us part type thing?”
Whore: “Ummm, yeah… I guess?” *getting suspicious now*

Ryan: “Let me make a recommendation, is that ok?”
Whore: “Ok…” *freaked out now*

Ryan: “I think that you should go home to your husband and fulfill your vows that you made in a church, before God and witnesses!”
Whore: *stunned silence*

The last two hours of that flight were as quiet as could be. I think I even managed to take a little nap, sleeping the sleep of the just!

LIFE LESSON:
“My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in to them.” – Proverbs 1:10

No comments:

Post a Comment