Monday, July 25, 2011

July 25th – Proverbs 25: A Trustworthy Messenger

“Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters.” – Proverbs 25:13

Several years ago, I didn’t really understand this passage; I guess I just wrote it off for a piece of wisdom only applicable “back in the old days”. Yet today it makes all the sense in the world. I think that may have something to do with what I have been given to say. God has given our church and our ministry a message. We have something to say.

A messenger is just a carrier of a message. His job is to take a message from the King and deliver it to the intended audience. When you think about it, all believers are messengers. We have been given a message from our King. We will be judged in eternity in part on how faithfully we represented our King and how faithfully we communicated HIS message. When we communicate what we have to say to others, the word spreads. When someone who hears what we have to say and then in turn misrepresents what we have to say, we have a problem.

I preach the Gospel to unbelievers on a regular basis. It’s part of my lifestyle. By FAR, the #1 problem we have in sharing the Gospel with unbelievers is not that they have never heard the message, but the messengers that have brought them the message in the past were unfaithful. The either didn’t faithfully represent the King or His message. Think about it, how many businesses are ruined by unfaithful employees or churches reputations destroyed by the unfaithful behavior of her congregants?

In the context of our ministry, I have spent considerable time and energy clarifying things said by messengers who aren’t trustworthy. This happens as people that are exposed to what we have said go running around and misrepresent our message to others. It’s maddening. People who I don’t even know have formed these impenetrable judgments against us based on inaccurate information. Almost 100% of the time, if they give me a few minutes I am able to convince them that I am not the monster some bitter, petty person swears I am.

On the flip side, when we have people that faithfully represent what we have to say to others, it’s VERY refreshing. There are few things more exciting than when someone hears what you have to say, takes it and then faithfully represents it to others. Folks like that I consider my friends.

I wonder if the Lord feels the same way?

LIFE LESSON:
Be a trustworthy messenger. Both to the Lord and anyone you represent, from your boss to your pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment