Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11th – Proverbs 11: A Generous Spirit

“A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” – Proverbs 11:25

This is one of the great mysteries of the Kingdom. Give and it comes back! This principle is diametrically opposed to the principles of this world. In this world, to gain more, you hoard, you acquire and you never let go. If you do this long enough, you will have great wealth. But in the Kingdom, it’s literally the exact opposite. This is counterintuitive. We feel like we are losing when we give, when in fact we are gaining.


Jesus said it like this:


“Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." – Luke 6:38


Many believers feel a desperate need and are constantly seeking prayer and ministry from others to fill the void. But their answer is right here! Generous people prosper and those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed! Not stingy people! Maybe the answer is not going to be found by praying and seeking for your prosperity and blessing, but rather in extending yourself to bless and refresh others?


This is something the Lord illustrated to me any times when I was first filled with the Holy Spirit and began walking with Him. The Lord challenged me to give extravagantly on many occasions, “daring” me to let Him show me how much He wanted to bless me. This wasn’t only financially, but with my time and with my energy. He has never let me down! You really can’t out give God.


LIFE LESSON?

Give to receive. Bless others to be blessed yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment