Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7th – Proverbs 7: Keeping His Word

“My son, keep my words and store up my commandments within you.” – Proverbs 7:1

Proverbs 7:1 starts with the admonition to “keep my words” and it means to guard, to protect and to take heed! Somehow in our day and age we have equated hearing with doing. Subtly we believe that if we have heard something, we are doing it. What a great deception! For some reason we are satisfied with the acquisition of knowledge more than the application of knowledge.


Weekly, we minister in a local prison. Many of the guys in this prison have been convicted of murder. The difference between them and me is simple: I may have the knowledge of what it takes to kill someone. Anyone who has seen an action movie has a pretty good idea too. Take a gun, point it at someone’s head; pull the trigger and BOOM! They’re dead.


The difference between them and me is that they actually did it. They applied their knowledge. They did it for evil; they did it to take life. But the same principle works in the reverse. The knowledge that we are blessed with, the revelation from God we are given is not only to be heard, but put into practice.


LIFE LESSON?

You are not the product of what you know, but rather what you DO with what you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment