Saturday, February 5, 2011

February 5th – Proverbs 5

“Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.” – Proverbs 5:7

The first 9 Proverbs seem to be ALL about avoiding sexual immorality and adultery. When I was a 17 year old kid and just started walking with the Lord I would read these Proverbs while rolling my eyes. I was thinking “What’s the big deal?” In my naivety I thought that staying free from sexual immorality and adultery was a given. EVERYONE showed discretion and NO Christians would ever even flirt with such a sin!... Right?


WRONG.


Now that I’ve been walking with the Lord for 16+ years I am learning that the “basics” AREN’T a given. In fact most of the things that I believed to be the fundamentals of Christianity and that I assumed EVERYONE was doing, I am learning are in fact exceptional and few actually do them!


One of the things Proverbs repeatedly warns against is adultery and fornication. It gives some of the most solid advice I’ve ever heard. In fact, it’s SO solid and SO basic that almost no one does it! Like if it’s not complicated then it’s not spiritual. In warning his son against the perils of adultery and the adulteress he simply tells him:


“Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house,” – Proverbs 5:8


Basically, STAY AWAY! Don’t even go NEAR such a person or activity. Many Christians are trying to bear up and RESIST sins that you should RUN from! You don’t even get close to something that can kill you. I like the way David Hogan said it, “Things that have eaten my lunch in the past I don’t even let sit down with me at the table!”


LIFE LESSON?

AVOID Sexual immorality; don’t try to bear up under it!


No comments:

Post a Comment