Thursday, February 17, 2011

February 17th – Proverbs 17: Feasting On Dry Crust

“Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.” – Proverbs 17:1

In 2004 we were in debt up to our eyeballs. After several years of a failed graphic design business, we were carrying credit card debt on top of a second mortgage. We had nice things, a nice home and a couple decent cars. But we also had serious financial pressure. Every month we had to squeeze and believe God for miracles to make the payments on our debt.


In November of that year, I remember distinctly feeling that I should go to a conference in Toronto, Canada. While there, I was totally disinterested in what the speakers had to say so I found a spot on the carpet and laid there, trying to hear from God. Just as clear as day, the Lord showed me a picture of our family living in a mobile home. In the vision, our surroundings were humble and not nearly as nice as what we had at the time, but we were at peace, with no financial pressure.


I realized in a few moments that it didn’t matter how nice my external world was if my internal world was not at peace. I also realized that peace in our lives was more valuable than possessions. If we had peace, like the Proverb said, a dry crust would be better than a house full of feasting without it.


It took some time and effort, but we sold our home and more than half of our possessions, bought a mobile home and slashed our living expenses drastically. In no time at all we liquidated all of our debt, except a small mortgage on our home. To many folks, we are to be pitied, living in a little mobile home without too many nice things. But we are as happy as can be without stress, worry or financial pressure, feasting on a dry crust.


LIFE LESSON?

You can have your banquet without peace; I’ll just enjoy this dry crust, thank you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment